Bad Word


8 April, 2018


Hey Koko,

Can you stop asking me questions which I have no legitimate comeback to? No, really you got to stop!

"Shit is a bad word Ma"- when I curse an auto driver while driving;

"That's a bad word Joy" - when your father forgets you are in the room;

You little teacher, you!

Yes, that time has come when the concept of "bad words" has been introduced to you. But, you always have an ace up your sleeve,don't you?

I am trying to work on my control of using such words, and I thought a convenient way would be to replace them with milder substitutes. My word of choice was "weird".

Little did I know that it was necessarily the word, but the tone in which you say it that was being picked up by my little one's radar. So the moment I called out to that rogue auto driver on the road, you pick up on cue and say "That's a bad word, Ma".

Now I'll tell you a secret about the way grown-ups think - they think they can outsmart you because they are older than you. Hence me, the smart me, came up with a new label: "Weird is  not a bad word, Koko, it's a new word for you."

Of course you take in this knowledge with a "Oh, weird is a new word, it's not a bad word." And I go on with life, silently laughing at this trivial victory.

A week later, you and I are disagreeing about something and you call me "weird". I am stumped! I know you meant to say a bad word, but I (alas!) have told you this is not a bad word. I still try to go on the offensive: "Koko, that was not nice. Say sorry."

"But Ma, weird is only a new word, it's not a bad word."

You are a cunning one. You won this round, but I got my eyes on you mister.

Love,
Your weird Ma


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Decade of Brilliance

When We met Marylin Monroe

Are All the Questions Done?