That Time My Car Got Towed

 Hi Koko, 

Remember the time my car got towed?



It was pretty unforgettable event, yet in case you have forgotten, let me remind you. Your Granny was visiting and like regular Bangalore folks we took her to shops and malls. A lot of people are talking about "revenge tourism" - where people are basically travelling with a vengeance after being restricted within the four walls for months. I don't think enough people are speaking about revenge shopping, which is definitely a malady which afflicts me. If someone asks you, you'd probably say "Please, Ma has so many shopping apps on her phone, she is either shopping or on Social Media. That's her life" I am not a shopaholic, but something happens to me when I enter a perfectly fragrant shop with its bright lights and beautiful shoes and bags and jackets. They are all so gorgeous and God save me if there is a discount ongoing - I will buy something, even if I don't need it. 

Anyway, I digress. That day, we visited the Adidas shop and I was just stepping out of the shop holding your hand and gushing over the brilliant blue sweatshirt I had scored. I was holding your tiny hand and my bag in the other hand when I saw, and I could not believe my eyes for a moment, but my car was getting towed. The parking inside was choc-a-bloc so I had parked on the road. Like many other cars. Ok, ok, it doesn't take anything away from the fact that I was in the wrong. Surely I was wrong, and I paid the price too. Right in front of my eyes, my car was getting hauled away. I shouted from the shopfront - "Hey stop, my car, my car." I think I even unlocked my car, with that remote clickety click sound, just to prove that it was my car that they were taking. 

Before I knew it I had deposited you with your grandmother and was running behind my helpless car. It is a blue hatchback with innumerable scratches and scars, but I love my car. It is a true hero. Many before this towing vehicle has tried to put this one down before, they have all failed. Number plates have been broken by stupid people, some mischievous kids tried to put in grass and destroyed the central locking system, a coconut fell on the windscreen and shattered it, the thieves of Indiranagar stole my car battery. It's not Rahul Dravid, this little blue car is the Indiranagar ka gunda; and in front of my very eyes it was being taken away in this undignified manner. So I ran, without bothering this thin what my endgame was and caught up, said a few stray Kannada words and paid a fine. 

After a good 15-20 mins, I returned like a valiant soldier and found you with a pout. You were relieved to see the car and then you just hugged me and said you were afraid I left you, forever. That I loved the car more than I love you. How, Koko, how? How do you come up with these absolute extremes - either/or scenarios? Of course I don't love the car more than you. It is true I love it a great amount though. But just because I love something does not mean that I have stopped loving you. Loving is not black and white like that, so don't let these feelings nest in your head little one. 

Love you,

Ma



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Decade of Brilliance

When We met Marylin Monroe

Are All the Questions Done?