Our Song

 



Dear Koko, 

It is 9 PM and you are asleep. Snowy is also bringing the house down with his snores. But you slept so effortlessly, reading your book for a while, then putting the bookmark in, placing it on the bedside table and switching off the light. Like a grown up. 

I remember when putting you down for the day used be the greatest achievement of my day. You were little, I could cup you in my hands and just scoop you about. You would lie on me, your head on my shoulder as I would walk around the room. No one could put you to sleep but me. Because I had the magic spell with me. Your lullaby - ay re ay logon boye jay. The tempo much slower than what Hemanta Mukhopadhyay sang it. Perhaps that was the very reason no one can recreate it.. I believe if I play the original song for you, you won't catch it to be the every so familiar song. 

Anyway, in those long nights, when everyone in the house would be asleep except you and me, when you would tug me to sing the same lines again and again, I would often think there will surely come a day when I don't have to do this anymore. Humming would not work, the song in it's entirety with clearly pronounced lyrics was the minimum requirement for you. Only, it was closer than I thought. 

I wish you'd still ask me for my version of the song. But you don't and that's alright, you deserve your night time with Harry Potter. 

But every now and then it comes back and requests are vehemently made at sleeping time, and I absolutely love those nights. Like the other day you heard Soft Kitty on Big Bang Theory and said, Ma sing Soft Kitty. As you were falling asleep though, you hugged me and said sing Ay re ay. Or another time on a weekend when I was insisting you take a nap in the afternoon. You were in no mood, so you patted my head as I was lying down on the sofa  and sand ay re ay so I sleep and you can play. The same slow, wrong tempo song which will cause poor Hemanta to shame. It evolves from just a lullaby to our song, no one gets it, but us. And I like it that way. 

Love,

Ma

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Decade of Brilliance

The Magical Summer of 2023

When We met Marylin Monroe