Your First Work of Art

 Dear Koko, 

See we come from a generation who grew up watching Sonar Kella, so we think that children of this age (age at which you are more or less) will be busy with crayons and pouring over their drawing books. Of course you do not belong to that genre - you have so much more to do with your life, that colors can take a backseat. Of course I have spied you lining up crayons on your table and practicing your Nerf target on them, but that's where your relationship ends. 

So obviously when your school gave a project where you had to draw the folk art of one state of India, I was more excited about it than you. Your state was Uttarakhand and we Googled some really nice pictures that we could do. 

Initially you were excited to bring to together the saucer and shape the figures, but as soon as the task of  filling up with colors was imminent I could sense your attention wane. I tried positive and negative reinforcement, but you seemed iffy. Then quite reluctantly you completed it after two days.

 


“Did you learn something?”, I asked. 

“I have to do it, so I did it” - you said. 

At first I was furious (as usual), but I think you have got the lesson fine. There will be times when you have to just suck it up and do it. No point complaining, so just do it. 

Cut to evening scene - You are to do your English homework, but I see you scribbling at the end of the notebook. 

“What are you doing?” I ask.
 
“Drawing Spider-Man” you say. 

Ok, the likeness really isn’t there, but you will get there without me. So my lesson is - I am not helping you with your homework anymore. Thank you very much. 

Love,

Ma

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Decade of Brilliance

When We met Marylin Monroe

Are All the Questions Done?