When We met Marylin Monroe

 Hi Koko, 

Do you know what I love more than anything else in the world - freebies! If I suddenly get a free shampoo in my grocery order, or an extra serving in my KFC order I am the happiest happy person on the planet. So let me tell you the story of a chance that i got to see an exclusive art exhibit, with wine and cheese and all!

So we were on the last leg of our Italy trip and we had a lazy day where our plan was to just walk around and explore Rome. As we were walking through the ruins of the Pantheon we heard the word which can strike terror into the heart of any parent who se child has recently graduated to a diaper free life - potty!

Yes, there in the middle of ruins (literally!) you needed to get on with your business! What's with you, wonders of the world and potty. But more on that later. 

So while we asked you to pose or some such other irrelevant trick to divert your mind, you had only one thing on your mind and we had no choice but to hunt for a toilet there. Now here's the thing about historical monuments, they don't really care to put toilets for miles. So we had to get out, traverse the terrain and find a sort of civilized stretch. And we did find this museum where we asked the old gentleman guarding the door if we could quickly drop in, for the child of course. The desperation in our voices and the obvious discomfort on your face, melted his heart. Or maybe something else. But we were allowed to go in - just you and me though. Because inside, beyond those long heavy doors was an exclusive exhibit of Jackson Pollock and Andy Warhol. While I rushed through the corridors to the washroom with you, I did catch a glimpse of a few. From far. 

As I stood outside the stall while you were getting on with "your business", I wondered which paintings would be out there. This is a special exhibit so some paintings have been flown in from Museum of Modern Art, NY and Tate, London. Sigh!

You were done, and with that I also flushed down my hopes of seeing these paintings. So near, yet so far. As we exited, though, there was an usher who graciously handed us the pamphlets, which I was very interested in. I took them and read them. Someone also offered us some wine, again who says no to that?



We were terribly out of place though - people in suits and long dresses were knowledgably looking at the paintings, taking it all in and conversing in hushed tones. In the middle of the scene bursts a mother and son - hassled, hair all out of place, dirty shoes and basic clothes. Remember that guy in Emily in Paris shrieking "Ringard!" - I'm sure some such comments came our way. But who cares, in front of me, in the center of the room stood Warhol's Marylin Monroe.

So we walked into an exclusive art exhibition, had free wine, went through the entire display free, free, free! You don't remember this, but it was one of the most fun memories with you. 

XOXO,

Ma

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Decade of Brilliance

Are All the Questions Done?